Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A time to Reflect

Last I posted, I was evaluating building a Vans RV-12 Light Sport Aviation kit airplane. Since then, some things have changed. The house I am living in has sold (a post divorce situation) and I have to pack up and find a new place to live, so priorities are changing, with funds available for the kit more limited than before. In light of this I will place the RV-12 build planning on hold.

In the coming weeks I will move. Not sure where yet. One option is to a small family home in sunny Florida. No garage or workshop, but space to build one. Another option is renting or buying a place up here in the Northeast, but costs are high.

As I ponder this issue, I am reminded that I already have an airplane project in my garage, a Cozy Mark IV composite canard, with the fuselage under construction. Two years ago I bought supplies and tools for composite construction, built a workbench and epoxy warming oven, and learned this tricky construction technique. I completed the rough fuselage stage and stopped when my wife chose to express her dissatisfaction with my project (and me).

One of the nice things about composite construction of a Cozy from plans and raw materials is that expenditures are easily spread out over a long time. Maybe too long, as the process goes pretty slow. Large expenses for engine, avionics and certain hardware are comparable to RV construction spending.

I cannot ignore the fact that I have the Cozy project in the garage and jump into the RV project without considering the investment made to date. So, I may just move ahead with the Cozy project when I get a new place to work. I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment