Saturday, February 12, 2011

My Situation

So, where do I stand in all this decision making:
  • I currently have a place to build, in the house I am occupying, but I will have to move, as it is up for sale (in a very slow market).
  • I have lots of time as I am retired on a small pension
  • I have the money in the bank to start building
  • I have a pretty good set of tools and I am pretty handy with them
  • I need a project
Things that would have to be addressed if I build:
  • Where will I finish and keep the plane, as hangars are really expensive where I live?
  • Could I sell the completed project to recover my investment or fund the next project?
  • I need to clean up leftover projects to concentrate on this
  • This project will consume most of my discretionary income or savings

2 comments:

  1. - Where will I finish and keep the plane, as hangars are really expensive where I live?

    Build a trailer. The wings on the RV-12 are very easy to remove and replace. Maybe five minutes per wing.

    Could I sell the completed project to recover my investment or fund the next project?

    - With an RV-12? Yes, I believe so. With any other kit, you would be lucky to break even. I'm not sure what will happen in 2 or 3 years when there are more of them on the used market, but for now they sell very well.

    - This project will consume most of my discretionary income or savings

    That's a tough call. But if you really mean 'discretionary,' I can certainly think of less worthy ways to spend it. The building process is very gratifying if you, like me, enjoy creating tangible, useful things. I find that I work better with a kit that has good instructions. I tested myself by building a CLC Boats Shearwater 17 kayak first. That too was very rewarding, but required less financial risk.

    http://www.papagolfchronicles.com/search/label/kayak

    I see you've already found my Schmetterling blog - jump back to the very early pages and you'll see where I went through a very similar decision making process myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dave, your blog was one of the major influences in my planning.

    ReplyDelete